THE PLAN


Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.


Monday, 27 January 2020

Genesis 39-50

8 comments:

Mike Cain said...

Love how 39:21 and 23 underline that the Lord was with Joseph. Everyone else has abandoned him. But the Lord is with him. Praise Him for being Immanuel.

Mike Cain said...

And v 3 as well!

Laura Wu said...

I love the end of Joseph's story. Joseph's brothers become afraid that he will seek retribution. He says to his brothers: 'Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear; I will provide for you and your little ones.' Joseph trusts God. He sees God's hand. He disconnects God's praise from his circumstances. He forgives his weak and sinful fellow humans. I am praying that the Lord would help me to be more like that, because He is sovereign - so there is truly nothing to fear.

Ruth Kisch said...

I also have loved reading through Genesis again, 1st time in many yrs. Amazed afresh at God's Amazing Grace and how he works His Purpose out despite us rotten humans. I've loved seeing His Grace working through Ishmael &Esau, not only through His Covenant people. I've really looked forward to Monday mornings!
Don't know how I'll feel about Leviticus &Lamentations!

Richard Powell said...

On the Bible Gateway NIV, Genesis 49 is entitled ‘Jacob Blesses His Sons’. If these are his blessings then I’d hate to hear his curses! There are some thinly-veiled rebukes (Reuben v3-4, Simeon and Levi v5-7) and some ambivalent prophecies (Dan v16-17, Benjamin v27). His offspring are a motley bunch, but Jacob was no better- a cheat in many episodes of his life - yet his life story from Genesis 27-49 is that he is met not by his comeuppance but again and again by the grace and faithfulness of God. I am so encouraged by that, because the pattern seems to be that no amount of sin or imperfection of life can ever overturn the purposes of God to bless his people, so there is hope for me. And in the middle of Genesis 49, years before Jesus, years before prophets like Micah, come these beautiful, prescient words: ’The sceptre will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, until he to whom it belongs shall come and the obedience of the nations shall be his. He will tether his donkey to a vine, his colt to the choicest branch; he will wash his garments in wine, his robes in the blood of grapes*.’ Sent a shiver of awe down my spine. *Revelation 19:13.

Ben Heasman said...

Thanks Richard that's really helpful. Had wondered if the bit about the wine/blood in 49v11 pointed to Jesus, so the Rev 19:13 reference is v cool! Amazing how the King was foretold all the way back then tucked in the middle of a mixed bag of 'blessings'

Clare said...

Anyone seen DreamWorks' "Joseph Prince of Egypt"? Heard it is surprisingly faithful to Genesis story. Anybody know if that is true? Is it worth a watch?

Unknown said...

Ruth, I will definitely listen to Leviticus, I may follow the text as well, or I may not. I am finding listening good. I try to listen more than once.