THE PLAN
Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.
3 comments:
5 And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!”
That is where sinful men and women find themselves. Unable to stand in presence of the holy God, unable to gaze upon His glory. And then we turn on to 2 Corinthians 3:18 and marvel. The God who graciously made atonement for Isaiah (6:7) has made full atonement for sinful men and women so that we can stand in His presence and gaze on His glory (see the NIV footnote for v18, I think "contemplate" fits the context better) . I found myself thinking that this is all that matters, in the end, this is what makes life worth living, this is THE great blessing: that in Christ I can stand in the presence of the holy God and gaze upon His glory in all His brilliance. And that, by the power of His Spirit, He is making us like Him. That is a knock-out. Pray that none of us ever lose the wonder of that.
I've always wondered why the book doesn't start with chapter 6! Any thoughts on what we gain by having 1-5 first and then arriving at chapter 6?
Take heart. Our God is the one who can call on Babylon and Assyria to do his bidding as one “whistles for flies from the Nile delta in Egypt and for bees from the land of Assyria” (7:18) and then in a moment, when they have completed their work as his agents of judgment, despatch them for their arrogance. “Does the axe raise itself above the person who swings it, or the saw boast against the one who uses it? As if a rod were to wield the person who lifts it up, or a club brandish the one who is not wood!” (10:15). If he can make nations rise and fall like this, then why do I fear anything or anyone else?
Post a Comment