THE PLAN


Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.


Monday, 14 January 2019

Luke 19-24

8 comments:

Mike Cain said...

"The Son of Man came to seek and save the lost." 19:10
Keeps me humble (I was lost); keeps me praising (what a Saviour to seek out sinners like me); keeps me reassured of his love (when I mess up, he still loves me, because his love never turned on my loveliness - I was lost); and it keeps me evangelising (if it is his passion to seek out and save, then love for Him means it should be my passion too)

Mike Cain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Cain said...

"Embedded" comments seems to cause problems for some people using apple products. So I have switched it to "full page" comments. Let's see if that does the trick.

LucyR said...

test comment

LucyR said...

What are we to make of the timeline of chapter 21? Some things have been fulfilled in history-yet not all, and jesus has not yet returned. v27 and 31, 32 seem to indicate that Jesus should have returned (this generation...?) Obviously the point about readiness and the implications that has for us now (34,36) still stand but I find this detail confusing and distracting...
any help?!

Mike Cain said...

Good question. The two main alternatives are 1) to understand the events not so much as being about the second coming as being the fulfilment if Dan 7, the coming of the Son of Man to take his throne in glory (the ascension) which represents a change in wold order (hence apocalyptic language). Or 2). To undestand “this generation” in a way that is similar to “last days” (which are the days after Jesus until the end). That is, the generation of the final age before the end (ie then generation from Jesus until the end comes). I can see a case for both. The bottom line is 21:33. And even if the events refer to guns enthronement rather than his second coming, we need to be ready to face him (21:36). Any one else with wisdom on this?

Mike Cain said...

Guns? That should have been “his”

Richard Powell said...

Always get a tingle down my spine reading the start of chapter 24. What a morning!