THE PLAN


Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.


Monday, 7 January 2019

Luke 9-18

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Luke 10:20 Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”
Great encouraging line: 'rejoice that your names are written in heaven'

Rebecca said...

Question: when Jesus says in luke 10:18 'And he said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.' - Is this imagery to describe what it's like when the enemy is defeated when miracles happen like the disciples driving out demons? Or refering to something else?

Mike Cain said...

I think you're on the right lines. As the Kingdom is proclaimed and people are healed and restored Jesus says that it amounts to the downfall of Satan.

Mike Cain said...

Luke 12:22-34 is such good medicine. But I was especially struck by where it lands. When you know His care and take in that he has given you the kingdom- ie when you see how secure and rich you really are - you see that you don’t need all those things you thought you needed and so you give to the poor. Our generosity is a measure of our grasp of the gospel.

Ed said...

Yes good medicine to cure any longing for the 'John Lewis life'. Need to keep putting on our 'Jesus is coming back goggles'.

Both terms unashamedly stolen from ian's talk on 1 Thessalonians 5

Caroline Durston-Smith said...

Struggling to come to terms with 16:9 .....would welcome some wisdom.

Mike Cain said...

I think it is something like this: the people of the world do all they can to use their resources and take every opportunity to win friends and influence people for the sake of their careers; the people of God are to take a leaf out of their book and do all they can to use their resources and take every opportunity to win friends and influence people for the kingdom of God. What does any one else think?

Ruth Kisch said...

I too have struggled with this parable. Thank you Mike, that's helpful what you say &makes it clearer.
Somehow I'm sure the few words tucked away in 16 v15 are very important, ''but God knows your hearts'', especially as this parable follows the ''Prodigal son''.

I've just read to the end of Luke & I'm so glad this series keeps returning to a Gospel, reminding us Who the whole Bible points to.
Chp 23 v 35 brings me to my knees again in amazement, that Jesus should choose to die and so save us. It was either saving Himself or us. Thank You Jesus so much that You chose us.