THE PLAN


Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.


Monday, 17 February 2020

Matthew 19-28

7 comments:

Richard Powell said...

It has been helpful to read Matthew’s gospel in big chunks over the last three weeks. Reading it this way, I have been struck by two things which are easily overlooked when reading in small chunks: (1) How Jesus never loses control of events but drives them forward at exactly the pace he wants them to go (2) How complete is his demolition (over several chapters) of everything that the Pharisees and Teachers of the Law try to throw at him. Both serve to emphasise how his eventual capture and death is something he lets happen to him, rather than a defeat as they finally outwit him. I was also struck by the sternness of his judgment on the Pharisees (the ‘seven woes’ in Matthew 23, voiced with appropriate contempt by David Suchet!) as leaders who should have looked after his people but had utterly failed to do so. Then I was moved by Matthew 24:12-13 (“Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved”) because I know some whose love has grown cold and I am conscious that I need to ask for his help to stand firm to the end. And finally I was left rejoicing again at Matthew 28:18 “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.” What a King!

Clare said...

I've just done a very speedy skim read of most of Matthew (way behind!) and am very struck at Jesus' no nonsense firm authoritative clear sighted clear cut approach to us and himself. Not sure how/why I ever believe the woolly ineffective weak portrayal of Jesus. It's not here in Matthew's account. Yes also lots of compassion. But don't mess with him.

Ruth Kisch said...

Matt 28v17 really struck me afresh. I so often feel ''If only i could just SEE Jesus, my faith would be so much stronger'', but NO, some of those closest to Jesus saw Him after the Resurrection,''but some doubted'', even as He stood in front of them. That encourages me to continue to live by faith, not by sight, especially in tough times.

Unknown said...

I always smile at Jesus talking about ears of corn and then say that anyone with ears to hear, let them hear. Are the 2 words translated "ear" at all alike or is it just in English that it looks like some sort of word play?

Unknown said...

In chp25 there seems to be an emphasis on using the resources that you've been given well as what gets you into the kingdom and not whether you're trusting in Jesus' forgiveness, anyone got any insight on this?

Richard Powell said...

Short answer: taking the chapter in isolation, maybe, but in the context of the whole of Matthew’s gospel, no. I think where that leaves us is that while chp25 actions don’t get you into the kingdom, they are nonetheless the sorts of things done by people in the kingdom.

Unknown said...

Very helpful, thanks Richard!