THE PLAN


Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.


Monday, 27 July 2020

Isaiah 59-66

1 comment:

Richard Powell said...

Some reflections as we reach the end of Isaiah… It has been such a rich book. I have been struck by Isaiah’s contemporary relevance and his vivid imagery (for example, 59:14 “Justice is driven back, and Righteousness stands at a distance; Truth has stumbled in the streets, Honesty cannot enter”). I have loved coming across things the New Testament will later echo (for example, the seeds of Ephesians 6 in 59:17 where the LORD ‘put on righteousness as his breastplate, and the helmet of salvation on his head…” and of Revelation 21 in 65:17-20 “See, I will create a new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind… the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more… Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years…”). I have been sobered by terrible images of judgment and the day of vengeance (for example 63:3 “Why are your garments red, like those of one treading the winepress? I have trodden the winepress alone… I trampled them in my anger and trod them down in my wrath; their blood spattered my garments, and I stained all my clothing. It was for me the day of vengeance, the year for me to redeem had come… I trampled the nations in my anger; in my wrath I made them drunk and poured their blood on the ground”). But from the book as a whole, I have been left reflecting that what the LORD most wants is… his people. He will go to any lengths to get them back. That is deeply moving.