THE PLAN


Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.


Monday, 11 January 2021

Joshua 10-17

4 comments:

Naomi Havell said...

In the battle against the Amorites in ch 10, I had always thought that it was God who commanded the sun and the moon to stand still, yet it was Joshua who said to the Lord 'Sun, stand still over Gibeon, and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.' (Ch 10 v 12) How awesome it is that the Lord listened to Joshua's cry and responded by doing as he had asked!

Naomi Havell said...

Anyone got any good tips for reading ch 13-21 (the chapters where the allotted land is listed)? I'm struggling to persevere through them!

Charlotte U said...

The sun stopping is so amazing. You've reminded me of what James said about Elijah - he was a man, like us (James 5:17). What faith that God is sovereign even over the sun, and still a God who listens to His people! Stunning.
I've been enjoying the allotting of the land (despite my lack of geographical knowledge) - it seems to be done justly, as honours God, and is a fulfilment of God's promises. I'm sure all the allotting and conquering didn't happen in a day either, and it must have been so exciting to finally have their promised land!

Naomi Havell said...

Thanks for pointing out the link to James 5 v 17! Such a great reminder that God is the same today as He was then, and that our prayers are powerful.

You're right, the way in which the land was allotted was fair, and ultimately chosen by God considering that they cast lots to choose. I loved the summary of it all in Joshua 21 v 43-45, that everything happened according to God's promise!