THE PLAN
Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.
6 comments:
I have fallen off the train and got back on a few times but determined to stay on this time! Encouraged by Joshua 1:8 "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it". Great reminder that walking God's way is what makes life work as it should, and that reading His words daily, meditating on them, is the way to hear His voice and know Him better.
I love God's kindness to Joshua in ch1, backing up His call to be strong and courageous with the leaders of Reuben, Gad and Manasseh giving him the same encouragement. If they'd been resistant, it could have shaken him pretty badly!
Enjoyed seeing today how being part of the Israelite crew wasn't limited to those born into the family - Rahab in 6v25 'lives among the Israelites to this day'. 8v33 includes the foreigners living among them when it refers to the Israelites. Presumably this could have included others like Rahab in the land who decided to trust the Lord and His purposes rather than try and fight - God is very gracious!
Small thing. But I underlined 9:14. They “did not enquire of the Lord.” I have tucked this into my heart. In every decision ask for His wisdom.
Fell off the Bible train when travelling through Isaiah. Have jumped back on today.
Rahab only one of 4 women to be mentioned in family tree of Jesus in Matthew 1. Rahab I think would be stunned!
The encounter with the mysterious warrior in 5:13-14 (“Are you for us or for our enemies?” “Neither, but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.”) was a key take-home for me. As the video comments at 2:03, “…which shows that the real question here is whether Joshua is on God’s side. It makes clear that this whole story is not about Israel versus the Canaanites, rather, it’s God’s battle, and Israel is going to play the role of spectator or sometimes supporter in God’s plan.”
Post a Comment