THE PLAN
Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.
8 comments:
Can anyone help me out with 1 Corinthians 3 vs 14-15? Is it saying that there is reward in heaven for obedience to God in building his kingdom, but reminding the Corinthians that this is not how they are saved
I fell off the read-through-train somewhere between Exodus and Job (note to self: if you plan on doing a Sunday morning bonanza read-through for a week but then something comes up and you miss it, it is a long way to catch up the following week!) but as of Corinthians, I'm back!! Wonderful book to re-board with! Particularly encouraged by chapter 1:18-31 and chapter 3:18-20. I meet a lot of people who are "wise according to worldly standards" and it can be a bit intimidating given that many appear to be 'post-religion' and see Christianity as primitive. Great to be reminded of the truth that "the wisdom of the world is folly with God". May I be the biggest fool in the world's eyes that I may know the true wisdom of God: Jesus Christ, our righteousness, sanctification and redemption.
Been away for a week, got a lot to catch up on (the end of Leviticus and the beginning of 1 Cor...)! Mike, how would you feel about publishing all the readings for the summer hols in early July? We will be away for 4 weeks without a lot of internet access, and I guess others may be too. It would be so helpful to have them in advance!
Good question Tom. I think the context is key here. Paul is talking about Christian ministry. There is indeed a reward for those who "build with care." (v.10). Salvation is not the reward. We are not saved by ministry. But there is nevertheless the reward that the Lord gives to those who are good and faithful servants. One day our ministry will be shown for what it is (13) and the point is that some ministers have built so badly (with so little care) that their work will be burned - it will shown by God to have been of no gospel substance. But even if their ministry is shown to be of no substance, they will still be saved (because we are not saved by ministry, but by grace). I think that the "even though only as one escaping through the flames" underlines that it is something of a close shave. They themselves will be saved but, as those who are fleeing a burning building, they won't take anything with them - ie they won't have anything to show for their ministry, they won't be able to point to people built up in Christ. As you say, this is not about salvation per se, but about the sort of ministry that pleases and honors the Lord.
Good idea Laura. I will do that for July and August.
That's really helpful Mike, I was wondering about this myself when I read the passage last week.
That's really helpful Mike, I was wondering about this myself when I read the passage last week.
Post a Comment