THE PLAN


Every Monday I will post the reading for the week ahead. It will be about 10 chapters a week. You might want to read a chapter or two a day, and catch up at weekends. If there is a verse that especially spoke to you, a question that you have, or a thought that struck you, please share it with your fellow travellers by making a comment.


Wednesday, 13 May 2020

The Book of Leviticus - an animated overview

7 comments:

Mike Cain said...

This is a stunning - visually and theologically. Take 7 mins to watch it and the Leviticus lights will go on.

Unknown said...

Great video. I was really struggling and slowing down with Leviticus, this video has made me want to keep going! Highly recommend you watch it!

Ruth Kisch said...

I've been marking the times God says ''I AM THE LORD'', 10 times just since chp 22. I would love to, and so need to, remind myself of that 10 times each day.

Richard Powell said...

Mike and Laura, absolutely - echo that!

Richard Powell said...

At 5’34” the video points out, “We have to remember that in the ancient world sacrifices were the main way of buying favour from the gods.” One of the things that puzzles me about the sacrificial systems in Leviticus is how a God who is so utterly different from the other ‘gods’ in the nearby nations would command a system of worship that outwardly looked so similar to the worship of those other ‘gods’: sacrifices of livestock, offerings etc. Surely God risks being thought of as just ‘another god’, when he is anything but? The only answers I have come up with so far are (a) this is an extraordinary act of condescension (in a good way) towards the Israelites, in these primitive early stages of their relationship, to allow himself to be worshipped in forms they were culturally familiar with at the time; (b) this is a worthwhile price to pay to set a sacrificial context in which Jesus’ death will be understood (see Hebrews 10); (c) these provisions test their obedience and expose the reality of their hearts for them: the degree to which they attend to these commands will be a mark of how much or how little they honour him. Are these answers on the right lines or does anyone have any other thoughts?

Mike Cain said...

Thinking out loud. Is it that He has condescended to the ways of the culture, or that the ways of the culture are a dim and perverted reflection of His ways?

Anna Patrick said...

I love these videos. I couldn't get this one to load on my phone so only just watched it after having mostly listened to Leviticus rather than reading it myself. It has really helped me appreciate what Leviticus was all about as I really was wondering what on earth the relevance of that book was to me now. I know I'm posting this a couple of weeks later but I often look back through blog as I'm rarely up to date with where we're meant to be.